Monday, February 18, 2013

Giants and Giraffes for G Day

We are back to Letter Days after a 3 day hiatus. We went out of town over the weekend but are back home and back to alphabet stuff. I had a folder full of G stuff waiting for us. It was G Day!
G Day

We started with a coloring sheet and did his upper/lower case Do-A-Dot sheet.
Confessions activity

During book time this morning we looked at his Actual Size book (from Melissa Clark and family) and compared the size of his hand to the size of a gorilla hand. My little guy's lion cub paws that usually look huge don't look as big when next to the gorilla's.

I got two G books from the library for today. Silly Suzy Goose by Petr Horacek and Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae. Dylan loved both of them. We had to read each of them several times.
 











When we read the giraffe book, we lined up all 3 of his giraffes so they could listen to the story too.

We had several Confessions of a Homeschooler activities to do today. Her theme for G day was Gumball. Dylan started with the upper/lower case sorting activity:

Followed by the size sorter:

And then the letter search page:
He did great with his letter search today. He hardly needed any help at all. 

Then, it was time to dive back into Giraffe world. I cut out a yellow giraffe in a G shape and asked Dylan what was missing? "Spots!!" So I gave him his brown Do-A-Dot painter and let him add as many "spots" as he wanted.

I think the finished product turned out to be really cute! As you can see in the picture at the top, he was awfully proud of his work.


Next was Jack & the Beanstalk!
I found some really cute printouts for Jack & the Beanstalk here and decided to add it to today's to-do list. Dylan is kind of obsessed with Giants right now (a couple of his cartoons have had Giant stuff in them lately), so I figured we could use the story for "G as in Giant." I got the book from the library and printed everything off.

The first time we read the book, I had him find all the objects out of the pile when they were mentioned in the story. When the story was over we rearranged them into our own little storyboard for a photo. Then Dylan sat down and I used the pieces like puppets and told the story again in puppet-type show. He LOVED it! I had to do that darn "puppet" show three times!

Dylan wanted to be the giant. So he grabbed the Giant piece and started stomping around saying. "Free, Foe, Figh, Fum!" (close enough, right? It's the toddler version)

The only way I got out of doing the show again was that I promised to do it again before bedtime. And we had to read the Goose book and Giraffe book again as well. I guess all of today's stories were big hits!

We also took today's official G stuff photo with Dylan's 3 stuffed giraffes and his giraffe slippers.

Happy G Day, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment