Monday, May 21, 2012

Deployment Day


The dreaded day has come and gone. Today was the day that Josh boarded a plane here in Illinois for the first leg of his journey overseas. It’s almost impossible to prepare for a day like this. I had every intention of being strong and composed so that Josh would feel my support. For being an incredibly emotional person, I I’m not sure why I thought I was going to pull that off. I hope that he could still see support through the tears.

My boys
We had a little time this morning to all snuggle together before heading to the airport. I'm sure Josh was thrilled to get one final fix of Mickey Mouse before leaving. I had to take a photo of my happy boys this morning.

(By the way, it's hard to tell in this photo, but Dylan's t-shirt says, "Taking car of Mommy until Daddy comes home." It was made by Katie Runnels for Dylan to wear this year. I figured it was quite appropriate for today.)

Once it was time, we loaded the car and started the trip to the airport. Josh's parents and sister, Michelle, my mom, and Bob all came to say goodbye. We all got passes so we could go through security to his gate. 

"Goodbye Daddy"
After some goodbyes, the rest of the gang headed out so the three of us could have the last few minutes together.

Dylan didn't understand the significance of the moment. But he didn't hesitate when I told him that Daddy had to go bye-bye and we were going to give him huge hugs and kisses.

Dylan has a few things to help when he is really missing Josh...

Dylan's Daddy Doll
Katie Runnels and family sent him a Daddy Doll. I had heard about them, but hadn’t seen one before. She took a photo of Josh in his uniform while he was at their house in Georgia. It arrived here last week. Both Dylan and I love it! Dylan loves to hug “Daddy” and cuddle with him. I do too! Thank you Runnels Family! What an awesome idea!

Josh also bought Dylan two of the recordable books from Hallmark (a Superhero book and a bedtime story). We read the ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ before bedtime tonight. As soon as I opened the book and he heard Daddy’s voice, he snapped his head around to me with huge, excited eyes and a huge grin while laughing. It made him so happy that Daddy was reading him a nighttime story. We read it twice.

It was a sad day in our house, but I am so blessed to have such a wonderful and supportive family (and friends). And I know that Josh is feeling the support from all those who have sent him cards, messages, and calls. Please keep your thoughts and prayers with my amazing husband for the next 12-15 months while he is serving our great country overseas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment