Friday, November 4, 2011

Josh's Orders

Orders are in, so it’s time to put the word out. This announcement is a bit delayed because, as Josh put it, “it’s still so far away!“ But it’s about time to put the word out, I think. We already told our close family and friends, so anyone reading this probably already knows, but here is more detail anyway. Although Josh didn’t get his official orders until last month, we have been operating under the knowledge of his future location for a while now.

The acronym for Josh’s future is PATFORSWA (Patrol Forces Southwest Asia). He is going to be assigned to USCGC Wrangell in Bahrain for 12 months starting next summer.

A couple years after Josh and I got married, one of my close friends said to me, “Anika, I always knew you were going to be a military wife.” I paused for a moment and then smiled and nodded saying, “I get that.” I’m not sure why he always thought that, but I understood it. I didn’t know how I was going to get here, but it doesn’t surprise me at all.

It is so hard to explain to people why I am excited for my husband. How do you tell people that you are happy that your husband volunteered and has been selected to serve overseas for an entire year? Maybe “happy” isn’t the right word. Maybe it’s just that I get it. I support him in his decision, and I am so proud to be married to a man that wants to serve his country.

How can I not be supportive, when he is serving such an amazing country? It may not be a perfect country. Our economy has been through the ringer, and sometimes I want to put most of our bickering politicians though the ringer…but I am so proud to be an American. I am so proud that my son will grow up as an American. I am the woman who gets teary-eyed during the National Anthem, who feels a sense of pride when I see my 1-yr old waving an American Flag, who is a huge sucker for all of those sappy shows on TV about American Pride. I love my country. And I love my husband for serving our country.

Josh played all of his cards right to get my support for this overseas tour. He told me about this opportunity about four years ago. And then about a year later, we told our families. So there has been plenty of time to prepare our hearts and minds to this possibility. Not that I am ever going to be completely, 100%, ready for him to leave for a year, but I think I am as mentally and emotionally prepared as I am ever going to be.

Between now and when he reports to his ship next summer, Josh has 3 schools of varying lengths (He already completed one 2 week school in October), and 2 months of Pre-Deployment Training he will need to attend. So, even though he isn’t leaving the country for several months, he is still going to be gone…a lot!

Over the next several months, this website will most likely evolve to a “Survival while Separated” blog and will be a connection to my distant husband. Not only will it keep everyone up-to-date with all of the latest news from me and from Josh overseas, but it will also be an easy way for Josh to have an every day update on his family back home. I apologize in advance if I start to post more mundane updates and simple photos…but I want Josh to feel included and be updated on everything even from across the world.

So that’s the news! Congratulate Josh…and wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Very very nice Anika! Believe it or not, your attitude towards this whole thing has helped me come to terms with TJ ever doing it! I do not know if he will, but if he does, I will be proud and supportive!! And you just go and post about anything super mundane, bc you will be leaving here too and I will want to know all about yours and Dylan's adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete