Monday, September 19, 2011

Our Michigan Trip in ‘Numbers’

Last month hosted a longer-than-originally-planned trip to Michigan. We already had a week-long trip planned around Labor Day to drive North and go visit Josh’s family. A little over a week before we were supposed to get into the car and start driving, I got a call from Josh’s Mom. Josh’s Grandpa West was not doing well. As a matter of fact, the Doctors told Cindy that he just wasn’t going to get better. The rest of the day was a whirlwind of events. I called Josh, he got immediate emergency family leave, we packed up 2 ½ weeks worth of our life, and got in the car around Dylan’s bedtime that night.

At a Rest Stop in Michigan
We drove straight through to Michigan. I was really worried about an 18-hr drive combined with a 1-yr old. But he did surprisingly well. There were a couple rough moments, but we seemed to make it just fine. We did make a few stops to either walk Dylan back to sleep through the night, or to stretch our legs during the day. I think Dylan looked awfully cute in his Dinosaur pjs and tennis shoes at the rest stops!

Meredith helping Dylan down the slide
We left home on Thursday night and arrived at Josh’s parents’ house late Friday afternoon. Five of Dylan’s cousins greeted him at the house when we got there! While Josh & I changed out of our driving clothes, Dylan was already playing with everyone!

We quickly got back in the car and headed to the hospital where Dylan got to meet his Great Grandpa Ed & Great Grandma Irene for the first time. Ed was coherent enough to know who he was and to tell us he loved us. I have him a kiss and Dylan gave him a high five. Thank Goodness we got there when we did.

The following two and a half weeks were full of family time, fun, sadness, and (of course) many, many photos. I decided that there were too many stories to tell and to many great photos taken for me to summarize the trip in just one entry. So I will continue to post Michigan trip entries by the numbers…

Coming soon:
2 High School Football games & 1 Grade-school game
1 NFL Pre-season Game
3 Days of Torch Lake (2 tubing & 1 swimming)
2 Trips to Higgins for ice cream
1 Trip to Dzia Dzia & Bussia’s house
1 Family Cookout
1 Funeral
1 Date Night
Countless days of play & fun for Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment