My first trip to Alden, Michigan was in February of 2005. My first trip to Higgins to get ice cream was last month. Now, I had been hearing about this ice cream for years! Maybe it’s because it’s one of those hometown, homemade ice cream places or maybe it’s because it’s the only ice cream place in town…either way, I wanted this ice cream!
So, on a beautiful day when the family was working on Grandma Irene’s house, Dylan and I took a walk downtown and made an ice cream stop. Wow, that makes it sound like I was skipping out on house work, huh? I really wasn’t. Someone had to follow the kid around and make sure that he wasn’t ruining all of the work that everyone else was doing! I did everything to keep this kid busy; swimming in the lake, playing at the playground, getting toys out of the shed, eating lunch, and taking a walk into town.
The ice cream stop wasn’t planned…and I didn’t tell Josh until days later. I didn’t want him to be upset that I 1) made my first trip to Higgins alone, and 2) didn’t bring him anything back! So, there were no photos of the first secret trip to Higgins.
To make up for it, Dylan and I took Daddy with us for our second trip. Josh got a man-sized portion of ice cream (maybe because he missed out a few days before) while Dylan and I shared a junior-sized rainbow ice cream (I can’t remember the exact name) cone. And Dylan LOVE IT!! Needless to say, I didn’t get much of the rainbow cone.
His favorite part of the ice cream experience, was kissing me after taking a bit. Therefore, getting all of the rainbow ice cream from his face onto mine. He thought it was hilarious! That meant that I thought it was hilarious too and let him do it about twelve times. I even took a photo after one of our kisses - how funny is he?
What did I think of Higgins, you ask? Must have made quite an impression to write an entire journal entry about it. Well, it was ice cream and it was tasty. It was no Whitey’s (To be fair, I’m sure I’m a bit biased about that). But if it means that I get to share a memory like this one with my boys, then I think Higgins was wonderful!



No comments:
Post a Comment