Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fourth of July

This year was Dylan’s first Fourth of July. I was really excited to get out of the house and do something because last year for the holiday, I was on bedrest and we did absolutely nothing! So I wanted to make up for it this year.

Downtown St. Mary’s does an all day event that has the streets filled with tents selling everything from carnival food to local knick-knack stuff. So we went with the Runnels to walk around a little bit in the afternoon. Forget the fact that we live in Southern Georgia and it is the middle of the summer…can you say “Hot! Hot! Hot?” But my little man did great. He sweat like the rest of us and didn’t complain at all.



I absolutely have to post a photo of Elleah in her little Fourth of July dress. She could not have been any cuter! I have never been so jealous of a two year old’s wardrobe as this little girl. Oh well, everyone needs a style icon, right?

Before we all left to get out of the heat for a bit, Elleah got to pick out an inflatable character. (By the way, I am only telling this story and posting the photo because it drives TJ crazy…and I love it!) TJ was helping his little girl pick out which toy she wanted while I rolled Dylan’s stroller into the tent to get us out of the heat for a few minutes. Well, I think that when TJ was getting the toy down, Dylan thought it was going to be for him. Don’t worry, he didn’t cry or get too upset. But he gave TJ a look that said, “How dare you? Don’t you see how cute I am and how much I needed that toy??” I’ve been telling TJ not to worry - I’m sure Dylan will get over this ordeal in a few years.

Later that night, we met back up with our counterpart family of three to watch fireworks. We set up a blanket in the park and played with the kids for a while. It was really a lot of fun. Dylan chowed down on some carnival food (aka French fries and funnel cake…hey, it was a holiday, don’t blame me!) and we really had a great time.

How cute is my little man?? If you said, “unbelievably cute” then I totally agree with you!

I am also going to hop on a tangent for a minute to talk about my friend Katie. Not to get all sappy, but it’s really nice to have her around. We have a lot in common and our kids are pretty darn cute together. She’s a great friend and I’m lucky to have her around. Okay…back to my Fourth of July recap.

The kids managed to stay awake to see the fireworks. The bad news was that that park was downwind and we were getting bombed by all the firework debris!  Elleah got popped in the face after one of the first fireworks and was done watching after that. Poor thing!! Dylan watched about half of the fireworks with me and then wanted to move into Daddy’s lap.
Once he got up there, he started repeating everything Josh said. So every time a big one went off Josh would say, “Oooo. Ahhhh.” And then you would hear my adorable little man say, “Ooo. Ahh.” So cute!

The major downfall of the night was the traffic trying to get out of downtown. But after some GPS overlooking of the neighborhood, and some conspiring texts between Katie & me, the Sitko and Runnels vehicles were cruising around through the St. Mary’s neighborhoods looking for a quicker way home. Thank goodness we found it! We shaved at least an hour off of our drive home. 

I would say that overall, Dylan’s first Fourth of July was a booming success! 

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe I never saw this post!!! BOOO Me!! Thank you for the sweet words.... I love you being around too!! :-*

    ReplyDelete