Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blackhawk State Park


Only a couple days later, we had gorgeous weather again. So we decided to make the most of our afternoon and hike the trails at Blackhawk State Park. I hadn’t been there in years, but remembered loving it when I was younger.

We took some stairs down into the woods and we were off! Dylan wasted no time taking the lead and remained there for the entire hike. I was a little nervous about how our extremely independent 20 month old would do. For not even being two years old yet, he really loves getting out there and doing stuff! He was a champ.

There were only a couple tumbles (including the bottom 6 steps on this wooden staircase) but he hopped right up…after a few magic kisses from Mommy & Daddy, of course!

Josh was really proud of Dylan for putting him arms out while falling down the stairs so he didn’t roll as fast. “That was a good fall, Dylan!” I think Moms and Dads get proud over different kinds of things.

Dylan is all boy and loves to be outdoors. This hike was perfect for him! He loved being our leader and picking which trail to chose when there was a fork in the road. We never even had the option to lead. Heck, if he didn’t look back once in a while to make sure we were keeping up, he might not have even noticed if we were gone.

Don’t you just love the dirt stains covering the butt of his jeans? I think that it’s a successful day for a little boy if you have dirt all over your butt! Success!

The park is alongside the Rock River and you can see it from the paths. Dylan kept pointing to the river and saying “Waa-waa.” “Yes, Dylan. That’s water…that’s the river.” Either he wanted to make sure we saw it, or he wanted us to notice that he knows the word. This Mama was proud.

After a while we started making him take a break whenever we’d come across a bench or a log so he could take a drink (and pose for a photo).

Pretty soon he started stopping on his own, sitting down, and then patting the bench next to him for Josh to sit. Once Josh was there Dylan pointed to me and would flash me his fake smile. So I would then pull the camera out and take a photo. I’m not sure if I have him trained, or if he has us trained! Either way, it adds up to a lot of photographs!

No obstacle was too big for our fearless leader. Whether it was a downed tree, an incline, a hole, or a big rock…he conquered them all!

And he stopped at every tree along the trail to touch it and say, “TEE!” “Yes, Dylan, that’s a tree.”

As a special treat, he even stopped at a mile marker to play a drum solo for all the forest creatures. I’m not sure the animals enjoyed it as much as Josh and I did. The drum solo also came with some singing and dancing.

And apparently, once was not enough. After he finished he walked about 8 steps, turned around, and came back for an encore. Kids are just awesome!

We made a giant loop around and were ready to head back to the car. But Dylan wouldn’t let any photo opportunities pass us up. He made Josh sit down on the rocks with him before we left the trail so we could get this photo. I’m glad he did, it’s a cute one!

Dylan also make us take one more before going to the car. He just wouldn’t leave until we captured this moment of them with a road blocker. Ah, the memories…

No comments:

Post a Comment